Monday 6 October 2014

Self-Publishing Advice: Reaching Readers With Your Own Book Catalogue

Need more ways to promote your work? Here's a new idea for you.

Over the weekend I was a guest on The Alliance of Independence Authors Self-Publishing Advice blog, talking about how to reach readers with your own product catalogue. The beginning of the post is below. Click here to read more.

Being an expat author and musician in Athens, Greece, I am not often given the opportunity to attend live literary events. To do so, I need to travel. And that is expensive. So I focus my efforts on reaching readers online, as it’s the most cost-effective and time-efficient promotional tool for me.

But recently, the organizer of a six-day cultural art festival called Art Links here in Athens contacted me about being involved in a couple of events there. I’m going to be a part of a poetry reading and a prose reading. Both events also involve a Q&A panel of authors and an opportunity to hand-sell my products.
Making the Most of Offline Opportunities

I thought to myself, Hand-sell my products? Really? I’m actually going to have the opportunity to talk to potential readers face-to-face and tempt them with my pretty paperbacks and CDs? Finally! I was excited, but then … extremely daunted.

I have a backlist of fifteen books and six albums. I would also have to carry a receipt book with me and be sure to write one up, on the spot, for every purchase (strict laws here). And considering there is likely to be an attendance of 50 – 100 people at each event, that would mean carrying a load of … how many books exactly? ... Continue reading HERE.
____________________

Sign up to my newsletter and receive Book #1 of the Writing in a Nutshell Series, Show & Tell in a Nutshell, or Muted: A Short Story in Verse, for FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris